Saturday, 24 April 2010

Printed Matter

There's been plenty of action at the craft table these past ten days, but no camera to record it. It's not so long since the manufacturers repaired my camera free of charge to rectify a recognised fault, and it is now suffering from what appears to be yet another recognised fault. Grrrrr .......... So I have resorted to working with an unfamiliar camera, and despite trying lots of different settings, I can't quite capture how things look in real life.

Anyway, my latest enthusiasm is using old printed materials, and the idea came from this month's meeting of our local stamping club. The brief, in preparation for our club evening, was to gather old books, maps, anything printed, from charity shops, car boot sales, jumble sales, etc. Some members asked charity shops for any old books in too poor a condition to sell, and offered a donation for them. It's interesting how most people have huge guilt about cutting up books, so I think it kind of salves the conscience to use ones that are already damaged and would only be thrown away anyway. My 'book' was the remnants of a 1900 edition of "The Story of Florence."

There were lots of beautiful cards made using these kinds of materials. One effective technique used shapes produced by using punches, but my favourite was resist embossing. I used tags as the base, distress inks for the colour and archival for the stamping. I decorated both sides, but with my camera troubles, I decided to attempt capturing only the front of each.



There's smearings of stickles on these, and the clear embossing to create the resist gives a shine. I love the two pussycats stamp from Cherry Pie. It reminds me of Charlie Poppins, my ginger tom, and his partner-in-crime, the sweet little Daisy Tortoiseshell who was run over last year. They were bestest friends and I actually have a photo of them with tails entwined. I liked the suggestion from the text that the two on the tag might be called Dante and Boccaccio.

This next one is more resist, plus stamping, plus gold embossing, and painting with distress inks. The base card is textured.

And this one has the addition of Perfect Pearls. Not that the dratted camera picks up the PPs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to comment. Much appreciated.