Today is 14 November, Remembrance Sunday, when there are gatherings and parades in honour of those who lost their lives in war, and at this time I remember Tommy, the great-uncle I never met because he died at exactly this time of year in 1916 in foreign fields. We don't know whether he died on 13 or 14 November. He was only 22 years old, but only a few days away from his 23rd birthday on 18 November. He was the seventh of nine children, and thankfully his three elder brothers all came back from the trenches alive.
The Seaforth Highlanders wore the kilt. You can see a photo of a young lad in uniform here, and of a group here. In the second the soldiers are wearing covers over their kilts and their Glengarrys (hats) to protect the material from dirt and damage.
So I think of Tommy, and feel pain at what he and so many suffered at the Somme, and the many other dreadful battlefields of World War I. I hope that one day I will find that someone in the family has a photo of Tommy, and I hope that one day I will be able to go to lay flowers at his grave.
I've spent a number of years researching family history, and one of my projects is to find out more about Tommy's army service, and make a little booklet to attach to my piece of work of today. In the meantime this little shrine is to commemorate all the lost Tommys.
The base is wood primed with gesso, painted with white acrylic and dried with a heat gun which produced bubbles where the paint was thickest. The barbed wire stamp is Tim Holtz, and I don't know who made the poppy stamps. Images coloured with red and green water colour pens. Text on paper coloured with Old Paper DI.




That is so lovely and such a precious tribute.
ReplyDeleteWe visited the grave in Ypres of Ralph, my DH's grandfather and left a white poppy. We were the first family ever to visit and it was so moving to see the rows of young men's graves. They are lost forever and we can never forget and must pass it on to our children.
JoZarty x
This is lovely and a fitting tribute to Tommy and a perfect act of Remembrance. Sounds like you may live in the Highlands like I do ....
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing Love Cynthia x
Marilyn What a fantastic tribute to not just Tommy but all soldiers. We traced Barry's grandfathers grave to a war cemetry just outside Lueven in Belgium and went to pay our respects last year. It was so peaceful it was difficult to believe the horrors of war.
ReplyDeleteOn a more cheerful note great to meet a fellow UKSN member.
Stampersue
X
Hey Marilyn beautiful entry for Cynthia's challenge. Small world I am a moderator on Rainbow Ladies forum and also guest hostess for Frankies TIO. Great to see your blog. Love Elizabeth xx
ReplyDelete