Wednesday, 23 February 2011

CCC 33 - Altered Metal Alcohol Inks

This is week 33 of the Compendium of Curiosities Challenge organised by Linda of Studio L3. It's Altered Metal Alcohol Inks as shown on page 56 of the book. As frequently happens, I found myself getting a bit carried away in my use of the required materials - in this case, alcohol inks. I had been watching Tim on TV on Tuesday, and loved the bright colours of the AIs he had chosen. And of course, he was also working with embossing folders on the Vagabond. So my background is white glossy card coloured with Red Pepper, Sailboat Blue, Sunset Orange, Clover and Gold Mixative and passed through the Big Shot with the Gem Flourish embossing folder. The embossing is highlighted with Inka Gold. The metal strip is from a Tim embossing folder and I've used the same AIs. The die-cut ticket, the metal flower and the grungeboard D are coloured with Red Pepper. The D is coated with Glossy Accents. Stamps are Oxford Impressions and Lily of the Valley.

I had planned to do more in the same vein - some ATCs, and to make a start on a new circle journal, but have lost all concentration. The troubles in Libya are disturbing: to see so much violence reported in the news; so many people living in fear. Then the earthquake in New Zealand. For the past ten years or so I have exchanged family history information with a third cousin once removed in NZ. We got to know one another, not in person, but via email, through our research. As soon as I learned where the earthquake had struck, I feared for her safety and had to email to make sure that all was well. Thankfully she and her family are safe and well, but their house is destroyed and they have lost everything. I can't begin to imagine the trauma people are suffering - those directly caught up in the disaster, those waiting for news of loved ones, and those whose homes are rubble. As always happens there are those who step up to the mark to help and care for those who are suffering. I just give thanks for these people and for all the things I normally take for granted.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, girlfriend, this is GORGEOUS! I don't think you got carried away at all-- you just got super inspired and did wonderful things with the feeling! I love, LOVE this! It's a brilliant approach to the altered metal, and a stunning piece, all the way around.

    I'm so glad to hear that your cousin and her family are okay, but so sorry about the loss of their home, and all the horrible devastation the people of NZ have endured. It's heartbreaking.

    Be gentle with yourself, and use your wonderful art as a refuge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow this is just stunning,adore what you have created,here the colurs are perfect so glad your friend is safe,its heartbraking for all the people out there hugs cheryl xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its so difficult to imagine what people are going through at this time, which is truly dreadful. Glad you had good news re your cousin.
    I love your creation, the colours are truly amazing. Loving it all, fab creation. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, a stunning piece, Fabulous colours.
    Glad your news was good and your cousin safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow and then some! Gorgeous colors. So sorry about your cousin and her family, but thankful they are safe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous art Minnie! Love the colours on the metal!
    We have friends in Christchurch too, thankfully they are ok, very worrying time for them!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work with the AI! Love all the elements!
    We all take for granted at some point, what we have. And it's good to be reminded of that, so we can be thankful.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that's a lot of work. I love your project, the variety of techniques, the colors and the composition are a sopurce of inspiration for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a GORGEOUS piece of art! I love the colors and the texture! Fantastic!

    I'm with you in regards to the horrors suffered by so many for reasons they can't help, and that they didn't cause.

    I hope your relations soon find a path to recovery. I'll send them positive energy in my dreams!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to comment. Much appreciated.