Friday, 8 April 2011

Shhhh ! Mrs B is busy ....

One day last week I was doing a bit of rose and clematis pruning by one of my sheds when I came across a beautifully crafted nest which I thought was last year's until I saw the three little turquoise gems. The nest is a real work of art made of twigs and grasses of varying thicknesses bound together with the pvc glue of the wild bird world - mud. The eggs have little orangey brown spots. Of course as soon as I saw the eggs I made myself scarce and worried that I might have frightened Mrs Blackbird off for good. I pass this shed every day when feeding the chickens, collecting eggs and shutting the chicken houses for the night, and in passing, each time since I first found the nest, I have been delighted to see that Mrs B is indeed still sitting. With the aid of my zoom I was able to snatch this shot.

I've had lots of broody hens over the years and have noticed that they often look as if they are in a trance while they sit. It is a bit of a long sit - three weeks. I believe for blackbirds it's about two weeks. So I do hope all will go well and no predators will interrupt this miracle of new bird life.


The birds are all very busy now. They are looking very plump and healthy having eaten well from the bird table throughout the winter. Haven't seen so much of the blackcaps recently.


Nutty Nuthatch still puts in an occasional appearance always characteristically clinging on upside down as he feeds.


And my lovely charm of goldfinches keep emptying their seed tube.


4 comments:

  1. I love, love, love your bird photos. I was going to ask what the little finches were on your blog header but you have photos. Lucky you to have such a wonderful group of visitors. We have chickadees all year and bushtits comes in waves.
    I just saw a piliated woodpecker at my feeder and it was HUGE! Apparently they mate for life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you birdies and all of your art as well. MY BLUEBIRDS ARE FINALLY BACK FROM THE WINTER AWAY but of course are nesting next door again! I feed them and supply their birdbath but they nest over there. hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful photographs, couldn't you just sit and watch the birds all day long. I don't get that chance now due to a furry purry prowling arround lol x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pics - the blackbird is completely undisturbed and I agree, I think she has 'switched off'..marvellous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to comment. Much appreciated.