Wednesday, 8 December 2010

WOYWW 79

Last Wednesday we had five inches of snow. As the week wore on I found the snow up over my wellies. The thaw came at the weekend, but for some reason the rail company still couldn't manage to run a train service, so I missed out on my planned trip to London. Since then it' s been freezing, and this morning we had the most stunning hoar frost the likes of which I have not seen for a long time. The trees, bushes, fields .... everything was covered in a magical frosting until well into the afternoon. I'm kicking myself now that too many distractions meant I didn't get any photos.

Anyway. It's Wednesday. The early hours of. And I'm still trying to catch up, and have a busy day ahead tomorrow. So here's my desk. There will be a full explanation at Julia's Stamping Ground blog as to why I am showing my work space.

There's lots of stuff on the shelves , on the table and in the baskets. Much of this relates to my attempts at the 12 Tags of Christmas, the annual Tim Holtz project. My card making is being neglected while I do the tags. However, I will use some of the tags as gift tags. One of the benefits of taking part in the project is getting the opportunity to try out new ideas. For me this leads to a lot of improvisation on the materials front, and I have been rooting in every cupboard, drawer and box, and, another benefit, finding stuff I didn't even remember I had, and using it.

As I've been doing the tags, I've been debating with myself on why and how I'm taking part. If I do something that is a copy, I feel a certain dissatisfaction. My instinct would be to produce whatever I am moved to produce. Then I reason that if I'm following someone else's directions, it is because I am learning from that person - about materials, about techniques. Yet when I am following someone else's ideas, I often end up producing something I'm not really happy with. So my conclusion? Just keep inking and painting and whatever. Seeing what others do can be inspirational, and from that inspiration I can produce something that is me.

Other stuff I am doing? I am using the gold spray on some Christmas decs which are hanging up to dry in the kitchen at the moment. Hope to post the finished items before too long.

12 comments:

  1. I agree with you that it's best to follow your own creative instincts. TH puts a lot of pressure on people to produce his stuff but let's face it... it's to sell the products and most people do copy his tags slavishly.
    Looks like you are busy enough there anyhow!
    joZarty x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to use the same things if I have them but there is lots I don't, but it's lovely to see people's interpretations. Just have fun is my motto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, we had one too, (frost) everything looked lovely and some of the trees stayed white all day even when the sun showed it's face...I was looking for my gold spray...but alas, it's disappeared...it's there all year and then come December, it vanishes! Have a Happy WOYWW!
    ((Lyn))#53

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tags below are lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love a good hoar frost they can be so spectacular. Been loving your tags too, great use of alternative materials, and I think you're right, stick to the overall concept but make them your own.

    Hugs
    Brenda 83

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Tim Holtz's 12 tags of Christmas as well, although I am not doing them. I look at ti and read the instructions and then I either try them on something else (or similar) or I don't. I learned some new techniques and it is real fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean - and often stray off piste when doing a workshop - though I'm happy for others to do the same when they're at my workshops too.
    But sometimes it's nice to just be told and have a play!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the crafty snoop...what a busy desk...hugs kath xxx No 47

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks mighty busy!
    Thanks for the snoop!
    Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find this all quite interesting - the snow, the missed train to London, the Tim Tags and your own creativity. I think you are SO on the right track and to tell you the truth...feeling just a pang of envy here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow your tags are stunning,i feel the same as you,i love to see new techniques but feel where all copying the same.Thats something i never do is copy or make same card twice .Your tags i just love ¬i am behind and when 12 days are up will photo them altogether well maybe day 14 due to my rt side not allowing me to craft.
    Have fun not many l;eft to gohugs judex#6

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the idea that it's your own interpretation on the Tim tags. Some thoughts on new techniques and inspiration is good, but come the bottom line, your own creativity is what remains. And very gorgeous it is too.

    Bernie #81

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and taking the time to comment. Much appreciated.